Day 26 was a busy one. A quick coffee this morning followed by a meeting of the tourism group of which I am a member. I hate the way at such meetings no one ever wants to take notes (me included). Everyone avoids the chairman's eye. There is an uncomfortable silence until somebody gives in and agrees to do it. So this morning I volunteered up front to get it over with. It was a good meeting, covering lots of ground and my writing got messier and messier as I raced to record it. I came out with a banging headache and whizzed straight off to another meeting. We got home about half past four and the thought of engaging with the garden was the very last thing on my mind.
So for half an hour I didn't. I drank a cup of tea. I flipped through a magazine. I thought seriously about not bothering today. But the whole point of the project is to do it when I can. Next week there will be a couple of days when we are away and nothing can be done so all of a sudden I got up, put on my wellies and my fleece and went outside. It was colder than this morning. I thought I would do ten minutes.
Here are the creeping buttercups, busily creeping into the flower beds. I love buttercups in the field but they are the meadow kind, holding their flowers high. These invade the beds and tie themselves into the perennials. This bed was mulched in the autumn and the big advantage of that seems to have been to make them much easier to lift and to disentangle from things that I want to stay.
After ten minutes I had half a bucketful and Ian came out to encourage me to stop. It was pleasing to have done it. I took the weeds to the fire site and on the way back I glanced into the kitchen garden.
There was a huge hole in one of the raised beds. A rabbit was disappearing at speed.
This is not helping.

0 Yorumlar