Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Feeling More Determined To Stay Home In California



As I was driving home today, I heard on the radio that the beaches in LA County have now reopened, with restrictions.  As I listened to the criteria, I felt a knot in my stomach.  I am still going to proceed very cautiously, and watch the numbers.  I love the beach, too, but I still wouldn't risk going right now.

I went for an early morning bike ride with Lula this morning.  I stopped and chatted with a local in front of his home  about the virus.  He told me about a man that he used to work with, they installed  power lines.  He mentionedd that this employee was a recluse, and  lived alone.  During the pandemic, he went to the store, came home, and was dead in four days.  I listened to the story and felt shocked.
 
After finishing the tale, he came towards me to shake hands and introduce himself.  "Oh, no!  I can't," I explained.  I told him that I follow social distancing and am afraid of catching the virus.  Many people still are wanting to stand physically close to others.  It makes me very nervous. 

I see families mixing with other households, and people letting their kids play together.  Most of them aren't wearing masks.  I still wouldn't.  To me, it isn't worth the risk.  I recently had a flashback to my kindergarten days.  I was five years old, and living in Seattle, WA.  My mother received a phone call telling  her that one of the children in my class had contacted chicken pox.  My mother thanked the caller profusely and  looked my skin over carefully. To her relief, she didn't find any marks. I remember asking her, "What's chicken pox?"  I thought it had something to do with looking like a chicken.

The next morning, I woke up covered with pink spots.  My mom called the woman back, and it turns out that nearly everyone in our class had it.  I will never forget how quickly it had spread.  It seemed to happen overnight.  I remember the scabs, the itching, the lotion, and my mother fretting.  At least once you had contacted it, you were immune.  It was SO contagious!  You couldn't see it or feel it. 

With this virus, it's so much more dangerous.  My sense is that it is just as easy to contact, and just as persistent.  I feel fortunate that I have my own home and enjoy being in it.  I am able to exercise outside at quiet, private times.  I am thankful to enjoy cooking, reading, knitting and homemaking. 

How are you doing?  Do you know anyone who has had the virus? 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

  

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar